The story of how Cadbury came to be the world’s pre-eminent chocolate brand and its definitive history are to be told for the first time in the new book by John Bradley, Cadbury’s Purple Reign. This is a no holds barred account of the rollercoaster ride the organization has experienced, and how it ultimately led to its success.
The fascinating journey that has been the history of Cadbury makes it an ideal example with which to illuminate the story of consumerism. The company was established even before there were a mass of consumers to sell to, and was at the forefront of many of the developments which facilitated the rise of mass markets:
• Putting product quality at the heart of the brand
• Harnessing the miracles of the Industrial and Transportation Revolutions to drive explosive growth
• Industry consolidation via mergers and acquisitions to cement critical mass
• A radical approach to harnessing the potential of its workforce to create the most effectively run company in Britain
• The virtuous circle of economies of scale which slashed prices and brought chocolate to the masses
• Innovative marketing and selling approaches that put the Cadbury brand into not just the minds of consumers, but their hearts
Illustrated with fact, anecdote and beautiful images from previously archived material, this book provides the reader with an unprecedented insight into one of the world’s most iconic brands. These insights will help any consumer business that aspires to build longevity for their brand with lessons on how to better endear itself to consumers, and how to turn that relationship into profitable sales.
Cadbury’s Chairman Sir John Sunderland provides the foreword.
John Bradley joined the Cadbury UK Marketing Department straight from University in 1979 when the company was approaching its lowest ebb. His career path included a solid grounding in brand management, market research, and sales. His roles in the UK have included a prolonged spell managing Cadbury’s substantial Easter and Christmas portfolios, and General Manager of Cadbury’s bold venture into experiential marketing – Cadbury World.
After a move to Cadbury Canada, where John was Senior Vice President, Marketing, he ended a 24 year career with Cadbury by leaving the corporate world to build a new career as a consultant and writer.
John writes a monthly column in the leading Canadian marketing industry magazine, Strategy (published columns can be found at www.yknotsolutions.com/articles.html